From the mind of Tom Beland

Creator of True Story Swear to God

Thursday, December 4, 2008

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #579...


... is the greatest issue of any comic this year. Really, it's that great.

I'll tell you something. It's no secret what a boner I've had for this character my entire life. There's a reason. He was a character I was instantly drawn to because he had such a great personality to him and the stories took me away, to this awesome place of fun and action.

This is the first book in over twenty years that pulled me back to those exact same emotions and feelings I got from back in those early days. Every page of this book is a time machine for me. Mark Waid's story has everything... the great humor, the put-downs that made me do spit takes and what happens on page 21 is a fucking complete classic. And I mean CLASSIC.

And there's no doubt about it. Marcos Martin is the greatest Spidey artist since the days of Ditko and Romita. His Jonah J. is perfect. Spidey in a ruined costume, page 21... fuck man... it has to be a dream to work with this guy.

Anyhoo... really check this book out. And for guys my age... pour yourself a big bowl of Cocoa Puffs, put on your old baseball cap and enjoy a wonderful comics glow that you haven't felt in years.

Awesome time.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tom,


At your suggestion, I flipped through the book in question. After only that cursory glance, it's been tossed into my priority pile. I'll have more to say once I've actually read the darn thing.

It's been quite some time since you last posted. Is life treating you relatively well? Are you working on any projects that you can tell us about?

Since you were last here I've had an idea/question/suggestion that I think might be of good use on the blog. I recently flipped through your True Story, Swear to God: 100 Stories booklet, and fell in love with those old strips all over again. My idea/question/suggestion to you is that you consider posting a new one page strip here once a week for your fans to puruse. I know that you've struggled with production issues recently, but it's something I'd like to see. Please give it some thought. I'd love to here what the rest of your fanbase thinks as well. Anyone else have an opinion on this. Tom, you've always spoken of your admiration of Keith Knight. I would love to see you express yourself in the same manner he does at Salon.com.

As always, I wish you the best.

Sincerely,

Patrick Herman

Justin said...

I can't wait to check this out... this cover takes me back, I have a fondness for a good "destroyed" cover, and it is even nicer in this time of painterly posed covers. Is it weird that I feel like I bought this book as a kid? Like if I flipped through my back issues I would see it or something.

Anonymous said...

What a cool cover. I love the crumbling title. Looks like I have to go out and buy another stupid comic.

Tom Beland said...

Wait till you see the bottom panel on page 21... you will say "no. fucking. way." out loud.

That page with JJJ staring out the rain covered window is one I would love to have on my wall.

Anonymous said...

Yikes! Finding comics in this town is proving difficult! Be fore-warned for your Holiday travels, Dude!

Tom Beland said...

WATERFRONT COMICS in Suisun, Tommy. Great store and awesome staff!

Anonymous said...

Ooh! I'm goin' that way this Friday, Thanks!

I am a little miffed though. Growing up you could find Marvel and DC Comics in every convenience grocery store in town.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the recommendation Sir.

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a great read.

#578 isn't too shabby either! Great all around!

Anonymous said...

People mostly are willing to help students and grow education to a newer level but at the same time they do not support Dissertation Help Service in the work that it is carrying out to help and support students who can't write their dissertations on their own.